Our History – Our Story
The marble quarries of Vermont have a long and prestigious history starting back in 1767. It was not until Colonel Proctor, in 1869, bought what was then the Vermont Marble Company that the industry took on substantial growth. In 1884, the unincorporated village of Sutherland Falls officially became incorporated, and the town was named Proctor. The big rush of the marble industry had begun.
At one time Vermont Marble Company employed more than 4,000 men; had offices, quarries, and shops throughout the U.S. and distributed 1 million cubic feet of marble around the globe annually.
In the 1900′s, at the company’s height, 21,000 blocks were quarried annually from all of their quarries combined. Redfield Proctor, who became the secretary of war then a state senator from Vermont, used his political influence to ensure that the marble from Vermont Marble Company’s Danby quarry was used in many of it’s buildings and national monuments such as the Arlington National Amphitheatre, the Supreme Court and the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. There are numerous public buildings and monuments made of this durable marble.
Today many of the quarries owned by the old Vermont marble company lie quiet and vacant. The Danby quarry is one if not the only marble quarry from this history that is still active and growing.
The Vermont Danby Quarry is owned by RED Graniti and Mazzucchelli Marmi of Carrara Italy and operating under Vermont Quarries Corp, is the largest underground marble quarry in the world stretching 1 1/2 miles into Dorset Mountain. The history of the Danby quarry is one of rich American importance. The future of Danby marble is as promising as it’s past with worldwide importance.